If you’ve ever shopped for a vehicle, you’ve probably heard the words crossover and SUV thrown around. While they look very similar, they’re actually not the same.
The main difference between a crossover versus an SUV is the way each vehicle is built. A crossover is built as one single piece – a unibody – and since it’s lighter, it has better fuel efficiency. On the other hand, an SUV is built similarly to a truck with multiple pieces. The body and frame are built separately and during manufacturing, the body is secured to the frame, resulting in a more rugged structure.
We’ll tell you everything you need to know about crossover and SUV vehicle advantages including their similarities and how to choose if you’re interested in purchasing a new vehicle.
Crossover versus SUV: Which one to choose?
Crossovers and SUVs are both excellent vehicles. Whether you’re using them to travel, take kids to evening activities or for your comfortable daily drive, they’re reliable vehicles that will get the job done. So how do you choose?
The compact crossover is a great choice if you’re looking for fuel economy and comfort. The name crossover was actually created because the vehicle was inspired by traits found in cars (convenience, efficiency, comfort) paired with the practicality of an SUV. Keeping this in mind, crossovers are comfortable, fuel efficient and easy to drive. They also come in at a lower price point than SUVs.
The SUV is built similar to a truck and has a very sturdy frame, which is why they’re called sport utility vehicles. Much like a truck, SUVs can tow heavy loads and function well off-road and in tough driving conditions. Some even come in 4×4 models. Despite their ruggedness, SUVs still have plenty of interior space and offer a comfortable ride.
Both types of vehicles have excellent features, they’re just different! If you’re still unsure, here are some questions you can ask yourself.
- Are you planning on using the vehicle for work or towing?
- If yes, an SUV may be better.
- Is comfort really important to you?
- If yes, a crossover may be the better option.
- Do you want a vehicle that has good fuel economy?
- If yes, a crossover will likely have better fuel efficiency.
- Will you be travelling lots with the vehicle?
- If yes, an SUV may be better for you as it’s more durable.
Similarities Between Crossovers & SUVs
Clearly crossovers and SUVs have their differences but they do have some similarities. Let’s check them out.
- Safety. Both vehicle options are very safe to drive on and off-road, though the SUV lends itself better to rugged off-road conditions.
- Raised ground clearance. Both vehicle models have a raised ground clearance which means they sit higher up, giving drivers an excellent view of the road.
- Interior space. Even though the SUV may offer slightly more storage space, both models have a comfortable, spacious interior. More and more people are considering crossovers or SUVs instead of minivans for this very reason.
- Seamless cargo area. The cargo, or storage area, is not separated like it is in most cars. Instead, the cargo area flows into seating and some models have the option of putting seats completely down to allow for more storage space (which is especially great for travelers).
Buying a crossover or SUV in Manitoba
Are you looking to purchase a crossover or SUV? Our team at Birchwood Credit specializes in car loans and we approve all credit types. We can help you find a crossover or SUV that fits your budget and will help you rebuild your credit over time. You can also check out our blog for the safest small SUVs in Canada.
Ready to get started? Contact our team today!