What’s one of the many reasons Canada is a great place to live? Countless Canadian businesses offer discounts for senior citizens.
The COVID-19 pandemic has placed financial burdens on many individuals. To ease some of those burdens, we put together a list of 55+ senior discounts in Canada, including businesses that are offering senior hours for safe shopping. Many of these businesses are still open during the COVID-19 pandemic but it’s best to check beforehand.
Read on for discounts on fast food, grocery, retailers, entertainment and more!
55+ senior discounts in Canada
A friendly reminder: discounts may vary from store to store so we recommend confirming the discount with the location you choose to visit.
- M&M Food Market: 5% off every Tuesday for 60+ and 10% if you spend over $30
- Bulk Barn: 10% off for 65+ every Wednesday
- Safeway: 10% off for Air Miles holders on the first Tuesday of the month and some stores offer senior discounts on the first Wednesday of the month (age not specified)
- Giant Tiger: 10% off for 60+ on first Monday of the month
- Shoppers Drug Mart: 20% off on the last Thursday of the month for customers 65+ (some locations 55+) if they have a PC Optimum card
- Rexall: every Tuesday, seniors aged 55+ save 20% on regular-priced items
- Pharmasave: 10% off on one day each month (date and age not specified)
- McDonald’s: discounted coffee for seniors aged 55+
- Taco Bell: free drink for seniors 65+ and at least 5% off meal (varies by location)
- Burger King: discounted and sometimes free coffee (age not specified)
- A&W: 10% off for 60+
- Arby’s: 10% off for 55+
- Subway: 10% off for 60+
- Smitty’s: 10% off for 60+ with senior’s card
- Parks Canada: discount for 65+ (discount may vary)
- Landmark Cinemas: every Monday, seniors 65+ get 20% off senior’s admission price and concessions
- Cineplex: discounts for 65+ on cheap Tuesday and regular admission days
- Via Rail: 10% off for 60+
- Greyhound: 5% off for 62+
- Hudson’s Bay: 15% off for 60+ on the first Tuesday of the month
- Michaels: 10% off regular and sales items every day for 55+
- Value Village: 30% off on Tuesdays for 55+
- Hallmark: 10% off one day a week for 65+
- Rona: 10% off regular-priced products for 50+ on the first Tuesday of the month
- Canadian Tire: 65+ get 10% off regular-priced items on the first Wednesday of the month
- Home Hardware: 20% senior discount on select days (no age specified)
*Check with your bank for specific rebates and offers.
- BMO: 60+ get free chequing and savings accounts
- National Bank of Canada: low monthly fees for 60+ when they open a Modest Chequing Account
- RBC: 60+ get free ATM transactions, in-branch debit transactions, cheque writing and more with a RBC Sixty Plus Account
- Scotiabank: 60+ get lower monthly fees on chequing and savings accounts
- CIBC: 60+ get chequing and savings accounts with low monthly fees and annual discounts
- TD: offers a 60 Plus Checking account with discounts
For additional discounts in the above categories and more, check out this list.
Designated Shopping Hours for Seniors
The World Health Organization (WHO) has stated the elderly are at a higher risk of contracting COVID-19. To accommodate these higher-risk individuals, many Canadian stores have graciously opened their doors with special hours for shopping. This allows people to shop with less crowds and have a good pick of the selection before supplies get picked over at peak shopping times.
Here are some businesses offering specified hours for seniors to shop safely:
- Sobeys will open its doors for seniors during the first hour of opening (usually 7-8 a.m.).
- Loblaws (including Superstore and No Frills) will allow seniors to shop an hour before the store opens which is typically between 7-8 a.m.
- Save-On-Foods allows seniors to shop from 7-8 a.m.
- Shoppers Drug Mart will give the first hour of shopping for seniors and customers who need assistance and will offer 20% off for seniors during that first hour.
Bad Credit Car Loans In Winnipeg Made Easy
At Birchwood Credit, we specialize in helping people with less than perfect credit purchase a vehicle. We understand the challenges that come with being in a difficult financial situation and are here to help you through the process. Click here if you are looking for more information on bad credit car loans in Winnipeg.
At Birchwood Credit, we’ve taken special consideration in reopening our offices. There is hand sanitizer available at every entrance, increased sanitization in high-traffic areas, out-of dealership test drives and the option to purchase a vehicle without contact.
Learn about all the different energy programs Manitoba has in place to improve its energy efficiency, including the Manitoba Hydro Rebates that are offered on select products.
If you’d prefer to shop from the comfort of your home, shop with our Buy From Home program. Your entire buying experience will be 100% contactless from the loan approval and vehicle shopping to the test drive and delivery. You’ll even get a $1000 rebate and other added benefits. Visit our Buy From Home page for more information.